Wednesday, September 5, 2007

happy september!

Now that the summer is "officially" over (although you wouldn't know it by the temperature outside) I can honestly say that it flew by. I'm not sure if that was due to the fact that I didn't ever leave DC or that there were none of the major changes that summer usually brings, but whatever it was, I'm shocked that we're already heading in to fall.

My first and last summer vacay in South Carolina this past weekend was definitely needed, and I must admit that I'm feeling pretty refreshed. Although it rained for three solid days, I still had a good time. It was a nice feeling to be bored and it was great to spend so much "QT" with the 'rents. By Sunday night I was admittedly going a little stir crazy. The island where I vacation is absolutely tiny and doesn't offer much in the way of non-outdoor entertainment. After finishing my book and watching epic movies (Gone with the Wind and Sound of Music in the same day), I was ready for some major beach action. Luckily, I woke up Monday morning and opened my shutters to see this:

Glorious. I quickly threw on a tank top and my running shorts, grabbed the parents and the dog, jumped in the golf cart, and headed to the beach. Even super early, the beach was pretty crowded (for Fripp Island standards) and Tabby was able to meet lots of other dogs... even if they didn't want to meet her. There really is nothing happier to see than a dog running at full tilt down the shoreline. I spent the rest of Monday in the sun: my pale-ass Irish skin is not too happy with me right now... but my mom kept telling me I looked like "the white meat of a chicken" so I was determined to take full advantage of those UV rays.

Despite the rain, the trip to god-awful Hilton Head, and the utterly dissapointing meal at Hominy Grill, it was still a great weekend. It's a little hard for me to not enjoy a weekend at Fripp: it's my home, but at the beach. It doesn't get much better than that.

Plus, the ultra-luxe-extra-soft pillowtop mattress that I made my parents get for my bedroom down there is just about the most incredible thing I've ever experienced.

No comments: