Wednesday, June 6, 2007

metro opens doors.



The scene is about 2 weeks ago, 8:40am, I get on my regular D1 bus for the morning commute to work. As I scan my SmarTrip card, the following conversation takes place:.


Driver: "Hey, do I just keep going straight down this street?"

Me: "Ummmm. Wow. Yeah, until you hit 37th, then you take a right there."
Driver: "Oh really? So, do you know the route?"
Me: "Yeah, until I get off on K Street. Do you NOT know the route!?"
Driver: "Um. Would you mind showing me where to go?".

So, I directed the bus driver downtown and hopefully he knew where he was going from there. I definitely got some strange looks from the other riders as I told him where to go. Apparently, he had no idea that Glover Park even existed (ouch) even though his route takes him in and out of it several times a day! At this point, the very little bit of faith I had in the metro system was substantially hurt.

Flash forward to this morning. I decide to get off on N Street, pull the cord and then notice the bus driver just blow through the stop. He didn't even slow down. I shrugged and decided I would just get off at K St, per usual. Imagine my surprise (and those of the other riders) when my faithful D1 driver decided to turn down L Street! WTF? My office is on L St. so I just chalked it up to door-to-door service, but I'm curious how all of the other commuters on the bus got to their final destination.

I would think that knowing the route would be a prerequisite for all city bus drivers, but apparently that's a course that good ole' Metro doesn't really bother with. I'm curious where all of the money from fare increases is going, because it's obviously not driver education or safety.

No comments: